Who here loves chocolate cake??
What a dumb question, right? Everyone loves chocolate cake. When we first decided to go Vegan, I was actually a little concerned on how I could continue baking all the things that I love to bake. Baking for me has always been a little bit of an escape from reality. We have done a lot of experimenting, and I have to say, I have actually baked so many vegan versions of my favorite recipes that I have ended up loving even more than the originals. It’s all about finding the perfect substitute, because baking truly is a science.
This vegan chocolate cake is:
- Super moist
- Not overly sweet
- Super chocolatey
- Very very addictive! (You’ve been warned)
- And you won’t feel super guilty about eating it!
It took some tweeking, but I think I finally found the perfect combination of ingredients to make this the perfect chocolate cake. In my opinion, it is even better than cakes I made before I went vegan. The frosting is the perfect consistency and adds the perfect chocolatey richness to the cake. So, without further ado, I give you the very best Vegan Chocolate Cake!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
(see * for substitutions)
Note: I have added both Imperial and Metric measurements, but if you have a food scale and a measuring cup with mL, I highly recommend using that instead of cups/fluid ounces because it is way more accurate and easy to work with.
For the Cake you will need:
- 96 g flour — (¾ cup)
- 125 g cocoa powder (unsweetened) — (1 ¼ cups)
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 150 g pure maple syrup — (⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons)
- 355 mL soy milk** — (11.5 fluid ounces OR 1 ⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons)
*vanilla sugar is also okay instead of vanilla extract
**any plant based milk is okay. I find that soy is the best for baking cakes and cookies because it really makes them super moist. However for this cake I have also used a soy/rice milk blend which turned out great!
For the Frosting you will need:
- 62 g cocoa powder (unsweetened) — (⅔ cup)
- 96 g powdered sugar — (¾ cup)
- 38 g vegan butter — (3 Tablespoons)
- 60 mL soy milk* — (¼ cup OR 2 fluid ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*any plant based milk works
- Preheat oven to 180° C / 350 ° F
- Put all cake ingredients into a bowl and mix until just combined
- Line cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with vegan butter OR no parchment paper and grease entire pan well with vegan butter
Note: This is a fairly small cake. The pan I use is 14cm wide and 7cm tall (5.5 inches wide by 3 inches tall). For a larger cake, double the recipe.
- Pour batter into cake pan
- Put in oven and bake until a toothpick in center comes out mostly clean (about 25-35 minutes)
- While the cake is baking, you can make the frosting. Put all frosting ingredients in a bowl and whisk (or use a hand mixer) until well combined. Use less or more soy milk depending on desired consistency. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for about 15 minutes
- Remove from cake pan and cool completely before frosting.
- When the cake is cooled, spread on frosting
Did you like this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below. Share your pictures on Instagram and tag us @sproutedconsciousness